Top 10 Small & Large Areas to Age
After research aiming to define successful aging, The Milken Institute* has compiled a list of the Top 20 Large Metro Areas to age along with the Top 20 Small Metro Areas to age. Data regarding the key features retirees and family members of the aging consider while deciding on a location, was compiled and analyzed to compile the two (slightly surprising) lists.
The key features that the researchers focused on include:
- The location’s safety
- How affordable the area is
- What steps people take to be healthy and happy
- The area’s economy and number of local opportunities
- If suitable living arrangements are available to meet seniors’ needs
- Ease of transportation including public transportation or if destinations can be reached on foot
Other considerations taken when deciding what areas of the country are the best places to age, are cultural events along with still being connected to family members and friends are also very important to aging seniors. The scores for each category were weighed and the ranking below represents that.
The Top 10 Large Metro Areas to Age
- Provo-Orem, Utah
- Madison, Wisconsin
- Omaha, Nebraska
- Boston, Massachusetts and its suburbs
- New York City, New York and its suburbs
- Des Moines, Iowa
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- Toledo, Ohio
- Washington, DC and its metro areas
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The Top 10 Small Metro Areas to Age
- Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Iowa City, Iowa
- Bismarck, North Dakota
- Columbia, Missouri
- Rochester, Minnesota
- Gainesville, Florida
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Missoula, Montana
- Durham-Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Rapid City, South Dakota
*The Milken Institute is “a non-profit, nonpartisan economic think tank,” according to the report published in July of 2012.
Read the complete Best Cities for Successful Aging report for additional information.
SeniorLiving.Net is a FREE resource for families that are looking for senior care. To learn more about senior living communities in your area, call (877) 345-1706 to speak to a local Care Advisor.